A school has existed in this area since the mid nineteenth century. Practising Schools attached to St. Patrick’s College were built on this site in 1894 and were replaced by the present buildings which were completed in 1977. St. Patrick’s School is a Catholic boys’ school, situated in the inner suburb of Drumcondra. While most of the pupils come from the immediate surrounding areas, boys from many parts of the northside of Dublin City attend the school. Separate boys and girls schools exist in this area for largely historical reasons. The school is housed in two buildings. Boys from approximately 4 to 6 years of age attend the junior section.The senior section accomodates pupils from 7 to 12 years of age.